Friday, February 09, 2007

The Joy of Cooking...

Breaking news... it's still winter. Just north of here they've gotten almost 8 feet of snow (going for 100 inches) from this storm. We've gotten just "a touch" in comparison. However, we've shared in the wind and the cold which means I haven't been walking. (Been working on broadening my hips I'm sure!)

To do this, I've been cooking - mostly on the wood stove. I'm still learning but getting better. Haven't burned too many things and am learning what those trivets were really made for - to separate the pots from the top of the stove if you want a lower cooking temperature. It works. In the past couple of weeks we've only cooked one meal on the regular stove. John even used the oven one night and roasted a chicken. Tonight's menu is gumbo with rice to put us in a Louisiana frame of mind since that's where we're headed next week (barring any sneaky storms coming from the west). I'll continue blogging as we travel but probably on the other blog site - will let you know, I promise.

PS - the best part of cooking on the wood stove in weather like this is it keeps the kitchen warm without guilt or impact to the pocketbook.
PSS - I finished those beastly seats!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: