Wednesday, September 20, 2006

About those potatoes...


Remember those potatoes in my garden? Well we were having guests for dinner over Labor Day so John dug some to go with the meal. John may skimp on some things but when it comes to potatoes if you need a pound, then you’ll get at least two but three or four pounds are even better. Needless to say I didn’t cook them all – just left them in the 5 gallon plastic bucket until I needed some for another meal. Repeat after me… Patty knows better than that! Damp potatoes + plastic bucket + warm temps = rotten!

Yuk! Yuk! YUK!!!! PHEW!!!!!! Please notice in the photo there is NO ONE in the kitchen. If you want to clear an area, rotten potatoes are a great way to do it - they’re probably non-toxic as well. Fortunately, Jeff was our only guest for dinner. He’s not only a good friend but an understanding gardener as well and, bless his heart, disposed of the rotten mess for me in the compost pile while I cleaned the sink. Yes, I confess, I wasn’t thinking and had dumped the bucket into the sink before my nose reacted to the problem. Yuk! Yuk! YUK!!! - just in case you didn’t hear me say that before.

On the good side, the kitchen aired out in time for dinner (it being a beautiful evening & we had a bottle of wine to sip on to pass the time). We had wonderful winter squash & wasabi mashed potatoes (the good ones) both from my garden, a beautiful salad with fresh lettuce & tomatoes from Jeff’s garden & tuna steaks from a tuna Jeff’s friend had caught off the coast of Rhode Island. You can’t get a meal much better than that.

No comments: