Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Gravel


Whoops! Missed the gravel pile with the tractor scoop, or so it looks. Actually John is just getting ready to dump the scoop he has so I (that's Patty) can take my wide hoe and spread & level it out.

What you see is what's known as driveway mix here in the country. It's a blend of smallish pieces of shale & sand & probably dirt they dig out of a hillside. Since this whole valley was once under water, it's often another way for farmer's to make money from their land. It settles and packs down almost overnight so when you get a delivery you have to deal with it then - no procrastination. Soooo... after 4 hours of scooping and hoeing (we're almost done in the photo) we got it spread out. Today my arms are sore! Remind me again about that excuse I used when I retired that I would have time to do things we might otherwise hire done.

Note - You might like to know that the posted speed limit in the gravel yard is 5-1/2 miles per hour. Unfortunately I forgot the camera.

No comments: