Friday, December 15, 2006

Bread

A few weeks ago the New York times had an article on making peasant bread without kneading. It was touted as being an honest to goodness chewy loaf instead one of those quick mix type of breads loaded with sugar. You could use any type or combination of flour - the trick was to mix it up at least 20 hours before you needed (not kneaded) it and let the yeast do the work. I tried it once that week and it worked great. So... needing bread yesterday I tried it again.

The only difference in my technique was the rising bowl was a size smaller than I'd used before since my larger one was "occupied". What I'd forgot to take into account was that, when left to their own devices, those little yeast beasties multiple like crazy especially when they're nice and cozy by the fire and no one's watching. Look closely at the bowl and you can see how some of them made their escape. Unfortunately, I wasn't think fast enough or you would have also gotten a picture of the mess those guys made on the hearth. Oh well. After resorting to a knife to break the dried "overrun" to get the lid off, everything went smoothly and you can see the end product didn't suffer from losing part of its whole. Another lesson learned.

No comments: