Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Road Excitement

Not much exciting happens on our road (or rather where our road meets the main road). When it does, it usually involves signs. First it was the road name signs. (Someone has turned them just enough so it's not at all clear if you're on Smith Road or Vosburg Road). Then there was the < sign to indicate the big curve in the road (duh!). Last year we got a STOP sign that no one (including myself) stops at unless someone is coming. This spring a 45 mph speed limit sign appeared (although I can tell you NO one is around to enforce it.)

Two weeks ago something more exciting than signs happened... The electric line that crosses the road came down. The top of the pole rotted off and down it came. John & Bruce went up to stop traffic in the pouring rain until the fire department could get there. Our fire department is strictly volunteer and they do a GREAT job serving our community. I think they had to sit up there most of the night until the electric company showed up to make the line airborne again. This morning the electric company came and put in a new post next to the old one. Unfortunately I didn't hear them and it was in and they were leaving before I could get excited. My question is - How on earth did they get it in the ground without disturbing anything? It is down a slight bank and even the weeds were left intact. The only evidence that they'd been there were those curious red marks on the side of the road. Some days there just isn't enough to think about?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me feel better about Dillon's not having won the lottery now that I know I've given support to your stalwart fire volunteers!