Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Uncles

On the news tonight there was a blurb about an 86 year old Kenyan who now has the opportunity to attend school and is in the third grade setting an example for all of us that it's never too late to continue learning.

I have two uncles who also serve as good examples. They were born in the early 1900's (Austin is 97 & Edwin is 88) and are both computer nuts. They are always sending me their latest joke or web site find. In fact, the two pictures in this blog they took a few days ago on one of their digital cameras and sent them to me via email along with photos of great great grandkids.
And when it comes to gardening, Austin is always light years ahead of me - even tried out hydroponics last year. Before long I'll probably get an email asking if I've started my tomatoes yet?

I almost forgot to mention who is who. Edwin is the "free spirit" of the two, preferring to let nature take its course in terms of hair style. Most of the men my age would LOVE to have even a fraction of the amount of hair Edwin still has. Austin? - well, how on earth does Austin continue to look 30 years younger than he is? And how come neither of them have hardly any wrinkles? Perhaps it's their sunny dispositions... Or all the apples they ate as kids (they grew up on a farm with an apple orchard planted by Johnny Appleseed)... Or their desire to keep on learning... If nothing else the rest of us should remember to learn from our elders.

No comments: