Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Gimping 101

Many years ago (about 3 decades to be exact - yikes!) I broke my leg and was on crutches for about 10 months. During those months I saved a LOT of steps.

Luck was with me this year attributed, I'm sure, to an ample consumption of black eyed peas on New Year's. Admittedly, I did manage to fall. But this time, instead of breaking a leg, I just sprained my foot. Once again, I found myself on crutches. Sort of like riding a bike I guess as I didn't need much training on how to use them. As opposed to then, they now come with nice, cushy "underarm" pads and "hand" pads - a BIG plus! And, the BIGGEST plus... I only had to use them for three days! Now I've graduated to gimping along.

For your lesson in gimping, imagine that you ankle doesn't bend, nor do your toes. Now walk. It's not so easy is it? I can assure you, however, it's a whole lot better than using those things in the photo. Hopefully, you'll never have to try either in real life! Saving steps is not always that important.

No comments: