Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Day 2 and counting...

Cook, cook, cook - a day of getting some of the prep work out of the way for the big day. The worst job? Those darn chestnuts. I HATE peeling chestnuts!!! This year I went to the chestnut internet site and they suggested soaking them overnight, then boiling them for 1-1/2 hours before peeling them. This does make the shells a bit softer, but they still have to be piping hot before those skins come off. But they're done and my fingers are still able to type in spite of the abuse they got from the chestnuts.

This morning I baked all 28 dozen cheddar crisps including the ones with the nigella seeds. If you are looking for something to coat the inside of your veins, these crackers would definitely be a good candidate. VERY rich in fat (mostly butter & cheddar) - it's best not to think about it. The turkey stock I made today smells delicious and with all the veggies I added am sure it has to be a whole lot healthier for you.

Just after I finished the chestnuts (did I mention I HATE peeling chestnuts?) Cyndy from Philly arrived. She always helps me organize and put together a "plan of action" for T-Day (we'll do that tomorrow). And John & Joe harvested the Brussels sprouts - the only ingredient on the menu that I actually had in the garden. If Gourmet would only give me a planting list in the spring I might do better.

George has still been out enjoying the fresh air. At least he saw a couple of deer today (of course he was in the kitchen looking out at the time so perhaps that doesn't count). Did I tell you I HATE peeling chestnuts?!!!



No comments: