Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Garlic


Does this look like Halloween or what? Shadows?! Is that a grave?! What is that hand doing there and what's wrong with it?! Actually it's just me planting garlic for next year. In case you're not a garlic planting person, garlic is planted in the fall and (according to one old timer) always on Halloween.
This year turned out to be a fairly nice day. (Truth be told I don't usually plant it on Halloween - we often have snow then and I'm not that crazy!). Anyway 150 cloves of garlic are now in my garden hybernating for the winter - 50 cloves of each of 3 varities the names of which I lost long ago. About all I know is one is big, one small and one has a soft neck, presumably for braiding which I never get around to doing.
What will I do with 150 heads of garlic? Gifts and eating of course. What could be better to tide one through the winter and keep the goblins away!

No comments: